Friday, May 8, 2009

Lisa does Graz

As promised here comes my update about Lisa's visit to Graz. I was so excited when Lisa finally told me she was going to come to Graz! Not only would I show her a great time but I would also save 30 Euro which is always a plus! (It costs 30 Euro round trip to travel by train to Vienna) But finances aside it was a really enjoyable weekend.

Lisa first arrived in the afternoon on Friday, since I live so close to the train station we decided to drop her stuff off at my place before venturing out into the city. Now, Lisa and I have been friends for quite some time now so I didn't feel the need to impress her by any means but I am almost certain she was not ready for the mess known as Tommy and I's room. She literally sat on my bed shocked that I could live in such a manner. It was quite humorous for me. After many assurances that humans are able to exist along side massive piles of shit we went for a walk into the city.


While in Graz Lisa was staying with her cousin so we called him to arrange Lisa's stay and his mother, Lisa's aunt, invited us over for cake and coffee at her really nice, really big apartment near the university. It was really nice to get to know some of Lisa's family and disscuss with them American Politics and other such interesting topics currently fashionable at European dinner parties. And lucky, just as Lisa and I had planned, we were invited for dinner the next day! We graciously made our exit and made our way along with Lisa's cousin and girlfriend to a local bar were the conversation turned to roommates and living situations. After chiming in that for the past year of my life I lived in a fraternity house with over thirty guys with no cleaning lady, I won the competition.

After growing tired we all retreated to our prospective homes. Lisa and I planned on meeting the next morning to begin our big day in Graz. We met at Hauptplatz and ran into one of my friends who is also an exchange student here from Sweden who also had a friend visit. So we hiked up the Schlossberg, although Lisa needed a few breaks (she just turned 25) we made it up in one piece. Once we finished soaking up the sights we descended and decided to check out the Kunsthaus which is that really strange blue looking building which protrudes from the red roofs of Graz like a sore thumb.

The architecture there was amazing it was unlike anything I have ever been in before. After making our tour we went into the observation needle which is basically a long narrow room with floor to ceiling windows looking onto the center of Graz. Since we were the only ones in the museum we decided to have a bit of a photo shoot in the needle. From there the day continued and we wandered around the city enjoying each others company and making plans for what we were to do later that evening.


As promised we were received for dinner by Lisa's aunt which we both really enjoyed. After a few hours of conversation and story telling we were off to experience Graz by night. After a bit of difficulty we were able to find Postgarage which was featuring a Russian Disco in one end and a Supermarkt party in the other. As we were deciding which one to attend the line to the Russian Disco wrapped around the block so we decided to risk the Supermarkt party which turned out to be so much fun. They played M.I.A., Santogold, MGMT and other favorites so I was more then happy with our choice. After dancing the night away I walked Lisa back to her cousin's and finally back home to recover from our night out.


The next day was rainy and since we were both fighting the final stages of our hangover Lisa and I decided to keep it classy and hang out in the McCafe in the train station until her train came. Overall it was a really great weekend and I am so happy that Lisa was able to find time to come visit me in Graz. It was a short and sweet weekend which was a great success.

Up Next: The Stoneberg's in Vienna!

No comments:

Post a Comment