I know I haven't updated in ages, but just hang with me and eventually I will get everything up to date. So I am going to backtrack about a month to explain my trip to Budapest, Hungary. I can begin by saying it was quite the experience. It was a last minute trip; I heard of some other exchange students planning a trip to Budapest and deciding that I also wanted to experience the land joined the conversation and expressed my interest in joining along. Because they wanted to rent a car for the trip they were more then happy to let me join in on the fun. I ended up going with Chris who is from UMN-Duluth, Tine from Belgium, Radka from the Czech Republic and
Nikos from Greece.We booked our 7 Euro a night hostel (including breakfast) Thursday and picked up the rental car on Friday and were on our happy way to Budapest. It took about 4 hours but was entirely worth it. Driving into the city, crossing the Danube and getting lost trying to find our hostel was so much fun, I wanted to jump out of the car and start my exploration of the city. So we finally orientated ourselves and checked into our hostel and found a typical Hungarian meal and decided to check on the car before meandering the streets. As luck would have it, our car had a nice shiny red boot on it because we had parked too far into the pedestrian zone. So that was a huge stress in my life because the car was under my name but luckily we got it all figured out and it only cost 10 Euro each to get it off.

After that whole ordeal we decided to trek over to the Danube and check out some of the sights by night. It was really cold and windy when we were there so that first night of sightseeing was a bit rough but I was able to manage to take some really great pictures. After a couple hours we called it quits and headed back to the hostel for a movie, hot coco and meeting the other travelers. While we were in the common room I met two guys backpacking through Europe for a couple months/years and got to know them quite well and decided to go out with them that night seeing as the others I came with were too tried.

Always up for a party, I ran to my things whipped out my flash and began pre-gaming for the night ahead. The two guys I met Jak from London, and Vlad from Australia had been in Budapest a few days previous, and were able to figure out where all the cool hotspots were. They took me on a whirlwind tour of several alternative and underground clubs and bars. It was really amazing, especially the part about half liter beers for 1,25 Euro! Normally I pay 3 Euro for the same in Graz so I was more then happy to stimulate Hungary's economy in the best way I know how. One of the bars we went to reminded me of the loring and it brought back so many great memories. Anyway, that night lasted til 6am and I was expected to meet the rest of the people I came with at 8 30 am for breakfast.

After dying aka getting up and ready for the full day of sight seeking ahead. I met my group and we hit up all the important sights in Budapest. I especially liked the fish market and parliament, such cool and unique architecture from both buildings. Toward the end of the day we made our way to Hero's Square and finally one of the most beautiful spas I have ever been to. It was so great to relax in the thermal waters especially after the night before and the whole day on our feet. It felt incredible. It was difficult but we managed to leave the spa around 7pm and went to a store to buy supplies to cook dinner in order to save some money, even though Hungary has been the cheapest place I have traveled yet.

After bragging about my adventures from the night before everyone in my group wanted to go out. So I reached down deep and mustered up my remaining strength and managed to go out with the gang lasting until about 3am. Calling it quits, I retreated to my bed and awoke the next morning on the search for postcards and stamps which I got and addressed to friends and family. In the late morning we left the hostel and decided to go to the terror museum which depicted the occupation of Hungary by the Soviets after the second world war til their independence in 1990. It was a really powerful and educational experience I am glad I attended.

After leaving the museum we went back to the hostel checked out and said goodbye to our amazing hostel owners and jumped back on the road to Graz. It was a great weekend full of meeting new people and experiencing an amazing new European capital.
Up next: Lisa's visit to Graz...
After that whole ordeal we decided to trek over to the Danube and check out some of the sights by night. It was really cold and windy when we were there so that first night of sightseeing was a bit rough but I was able to manage to take some really great pictures. After a couple hours we called it quits and headed back to the hostel for a movie, hot coco and meeting the other travelers. While we were in the common room I met two guys backpacking through Europe for a couple months/years and got to know them quite well and decided to go out with them that night seeing as the others I came with were too tried.
Always up for a party, I ran to my things whipped out my flash and began pre-gaming for the night ahead. The two guys I met Jak from London, and Vlad from Australia had been in Budapest a few days previous, and were able to figure out where all the cool hotspots were. They took me on a whirlwind tour of several alternative and underground clubs and bars. It was really amazing, especially the part about half liter beers for 1,25 Euro! Normally I pay 3 Euro for the same in Graz so I was more then happy to stimulate Hungary's economy in the best way I know how. One of the bars we went to reminded me of the loring and it brought back so many great memories. Anyway, that night lasted til 6am and I was expected to meet the rest of the people I came with at 8 30 am for breakfast.
After dying aka getting up and ready for the full day of sight seeking ahead. I met my group and we hit up all the important sights in Budapest. I especially liked the fish market and parliament, such cool and unique architecture from both buildings. Toward the end of the day we made our way to Hero's Square and finally one of the most beautiful spas I have ever been to. It was so great to relax in the thermal waters especially after the night before and the whole day on our feet. It felt incredible. It was difficult but we managed to leave the spa around 7pm and went to a store to buy supplies to cook dinner in order to save some money, even though Hungary has been the cheapest place I have traveled yet.
After bragging about my adventures from the night before everyone in my group wanted to go out. So I reached down deep and mustered up my remaining strength and managed to go out with the gang lasting until about 3am. Calling it quits, I retreated to my bed and awoke the next morning on the search for postcards and stamps which I got and addressed to friends and family. In the late morning we left the hostel and decided to go to the terror museum which depicted the occupation of Hungary by the Soviets after the second world war til their independence in 1990. It was a really powerful and educational experience I am glad I attended.
After leaving the museum we went back to the hostel checked out and said goodbye to our amazing hostel owners and jumped back on the road to Graz. It was a great weekend full of meeting new people and experiencing an amazing new European capital.
Up next: Lisa's visit to Graz...
No comments:
Post a Comment